Thursday, February 4, 2010

One Year Anniversary


I can’t believe it’s been a year! I remember we were in the Royal LePage office with our real estate agent, Matt, signing the papers to our newly purchased home. I thought, for sure, the Darrin would be the nervous one... you know, the typical guy getting cold feet to a big commitment... boy was I wrong. Matt had to fetch me a glass of water to keep me from shaking and I was already sweating - sexy. It was the longest 3 hours of my life.

Thankfully, I pulled thru the insane hundreds of thousands dollar purchase with the thought “I could buy sooooo many shoes with this” in the back of my head. I’m so glad and proud of myself that I’ve done this. I pitty the fool who pays rent to someone else. I finally am paying rent into my own pocket that I will someday profit from. I’ll be debt and mortgage free faster and sooner than a lot of people my age, and for that, I’m thankful.

I don’t regret not doing the typical things of a teenager, or a young adult. It doesn’t bother me that I haven’t done those things... as a child and teenager, I always dated people older than me, hung out with people older than me, and acted older than my age, it’s who I am.

So many changes have taken place in our home already. No walls have been painted - though I do have some serious plans for that, but we have gained some nice pieces of furniture and antiques that I think, make our home one-of-a-kind.

I like to think that my taste in furnishings and home decor is different. I love the little additions I have added like my antique 1921 cherub lamps, my 1831 mantle clock, and my 1934 cedar hope chest, just to mention a few.

It’s amazing how much small things cost to make your home looking nice. Simple things like picture frames and blankets thrown over your couch cost money. When purchasing and decorating your first home, you learn a lot... like how much effort and how long it took for your parents to create the home you once lived in.

I’m proud of my home. It’s my pride and joy. I may be a neat-freak... but hey - it always looks good!

Oh all the commotion, such a day. Thankfully we had a great team help us out and had everything moved in by noon. Did I mention it was -19! Dear God that was dreadful. After everyone helped us move in, half the team went ice-fishing, lol.

I'm not going to mention all the crap McD and I have gone thru since we moved in... but we have made it thru and hopefully our home is stable now... hopefully our foundation doesn't slide another centimeter, lol

I shouldn't go into detail of the previous owners... but I'm mad at them. They clearly didn't know how to maintain a house. If I run into the dude, a swift kick in the face will be necessary for leaving us with the mess they left behind.

ANYWAY... this is my first blog posting.

Keep in mind, I'm very opinionated... so prepare, lol

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your one-year houseiversary!
    Looking forward to reading your blog! :) I'll be "following"!
    Joelene

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray! Congratulations on your anniversary! I totally agree on the rent issue and can't wait till I've been in the UK long enough that the banks will consider us for a mortgage!
    I looke forward to reading more bloggy goodness!
    Maybe you could show us some pictures of some of your favourite antiques or furnishings?
    Sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete